Take the 2013 Green Government Challenge!
The Green Government Challenge is a friendly competition designed to encourage implementation of specific environmental policies and practical actions that reduce the carbon emissions generated by both the local government and the broader community. Cities, towns and counties can become a certified "Green Government." Many of these actions can save local governments money. To view the Challenge, click here.
How to participate
Participating in the Green Government Challenge is easy.
- Local governments must register to participate. To do so, you will need a Green Key. To obtain this unique password, click on the name of your locality and submit an email address using the form at the bottom of this page. Once you have received your Green Key via email, return to this page, click on the name of your locality and enter your Green Key to register.
- Once registered, look over the Challenge to get familiar with its 11 categories and 30 action items. The Challenge score sheet includes helpful links to detailed explanations and examples of each of the 30 action items that can be implemented in your community.
- Start completing the Challenge and earn "green points" by implementing new actions and adopting new policies that will increase your total score. Amassing between 100 and 124 "green points" out of a possible 200 will earn certification as a "Green Government." In addition, local governments could earn Silver, Gold, and Platinum levels of certification for scores of 125 points or higher.
- Sign up for the newly created Green Buddy Program to give and receive guidance. Regardless of whether your locality is new to the Challenge or Platinum certified, this valuable networking tool aims to connect expertise from across Virginia by facilitating information exchange and establishing new contacts within local governments. To sign up, email Joe Lerch firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Complete the Challenge and take the environmentally friendly step of submitting it online by Sept. 30, 2013, for validation. (NOTE: If submitting for validation for recognition by the Virginia Association of Counties then the deadline is Oct. 11, 2013.)
Additional questions: Send E-Mail to: email@example.com.
Contact: Joe Lerch (804) 523-8530 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Click here to learn more tips